Friday, February 3, 2012

Anderssen vs Kieseritzky 1851 (renamed)

Steve loves playing chess and so did Isi. It was her special game with daddy because mummy was, to be frank, rubbish at it. She had a special chess set for the blind and recognised all the pieces instantly by touch. She knew how all the pieces moved and how to play the game, but her favourite way to play was to recreate one of the greatest chess games of all time.

The one she liked best was The Immortal Game between Adolf Anderssen vs Lionel Kieseritsky (1851). I have no idea why that appealed to her in particular but it's considered one of the classics in the chess world and Isi only ever liked the best! Perhaps it was because of the quality of the game, or maybe the boldness of the moves (Isi did like to see a bit of carnage on the board) or perhaps even that mate is achieved in only 22 moves. I don't know why she loved that game so much and now I'll never know why. But here she is playing it anyway, with daddy having to check the moves were right on his laptop. Daddy always let her win and you can see the pleasure on her face when she did.

There's stuff about the original game on Wikipedia here but I prefer to think of this one now as Isi vs Daddy 2011.


4 comments:

  1. I never would have thought Isi played chess. What a clever little girl! I am so rubbish at it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another one who is rubbish at chess ... and we had to play it at school as a lesson !! Pure delight on Isi's face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful, clever child she was ! I pop over often to read so thank you for sharing Isi's life with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chess is such an intellectual game. Clever Isi and isn't she a good winner. I'm rubbish at chess but my Roland enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete