Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No light, no light in your bright blue eyes

When I was with Isi after her second operation to remove part of her brain tumour she never opened her eyes again but she had very dry and sore eyes after the operation so the nurses would regularly open her eyes to put various drops and creams in to ease the problem. And each time they did it her eyes would seem lifeless and I could not lose the feeling that she wasn't really with us. And now the image running through my head is of those lifeless eyes after the operation and I can't shake it.

You see, Isi had the most beautiful bright blue eyes (from her dad as mine are brown) that were full of life. People would comment om them - in the supermarket, at the post office, that kind of thing - and at the time I hated that, because she couldn't see but her eyes looked so normal. What do you do when someone says how lovely they look? Just smile sweetly and agree or risk making them uncomfortable by pointing out they didn't work (well, not strictly true - her eyes did but her optic nerve didn't).

Now I'm finding it harder and harder to talk to people, my friends, the people who care about me. And yet in so many ways I look normal. I can make small talk, that's easy, but really talk about how I feel - that's so much harder. And I'm reminded of Isi's eyes - superficially fine but completely non-functioning underneath.


No light, no light.

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca, she DID have beautiful blue eyes and they were for other people to enjoy.
    Do you remember when I talked to her on Skype, she did look at me and she did see me, just not with her eyes but with her heart.
    How you look at people doesn't matter, as long as you see them. Take care of yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs coming your way today Rebecca. Anne's post expresses what I'd like to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca, I just wanted to pop by to say hello and let you know that I'm thinking of you. xx

    ReplyDelete