Wednesday, September 5, 2012

This time last year

I don't post here often enough. I find it so hard - the photos come out and I fall apart. But Isi deserves to be remembered properly, and having sat myself down and given myself a good talking to I am going to try harder.

This time last year was the eve of Isi's last operation, and the last time I got to just be with her, to talk, have baths, play games, just the normal stuff. Of course, it wasn't normal - we were in hospital with nurses popping in all the time, blood tests being done - but for Isi hospital was part of her normality.

These are the last photos I have of her alive and today being the day it is I have been revisiting them. There are many and I wish there were a thousand more. No, I wish she was still here so I could take a thousand more and then some.

This is the day before the operation. Check out the toothless smile! Isi's smile always took up the whole of her face.



 And these are from the morning of the operation. She's all scrubbed and clean (she loved the fact that she had to have so many baths) and she's clutching her favourite doudou of the time. I sometimes wish I still had that doudou but it was cremated with her and it would have felt selfish to keep it. Irrational I know.


In these you can see she's staring to show more worry on her face. These pictures make me so sad.


Even though she's worried at this stage she's still trying to smile.


Although not always succeeding.


I have a few more photos after the operation but I will never put them on here. In those, she's hooked up to wires and tubes and monitors and is so still. It is not how I want to remember her, and it's not how I want other people to remember her. She was my beautiful, smiley, sometimes difficult, willful little girl with the big personality and the huge smile who should still be here, but who also will never leave me.

4 comments:

  1. Been thinking about you all day ((hugs)) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, thinking of you!! You and the family gave Isi so much joy in the short time she was with you, remember that always!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is this countdown in my head 'til "the day in September" and it grows more and more uncomfortable in my stomach.
    It's not because you or we don't talk about Isi every day that we don't remember.
    Don't worry about not posting often. You do as you feel and that's what counts.
    I know it is so hard for you all and these days are even harder. I was reading your emails of last year recently and it broke my heart again. Dennis and I are thinking of you. Even my parents in France talked about Isi last night as they were in UK with us when she went to hospital. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of her holding doudou, with her hair all wavy, she looks beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete