Wednesday, September 12, 2012

One year on

Today is the anniversary of Isi's death. Except it isn't in one sense, because Isi was already gone before that, we just don't know when exactly. Today is just the day that all the tests and retests came back as showing no brain activity. Today is the day we first said goodbye to our little girl. And today is the day that we made the decision to donate her organs so I want to talk a little about that.

In total we donated organs to five other children. Whenever we can summon up the courage we ask the hospital for updates. As of the latest updates, all five children are still alive and doing well. All are out of hospital and some are back at school. It's very anonymous here, so I don't even know if they are boys or girls, what age or anything. But I hope we made a difference to their lives and those of their families. I realise that a donor organ is never as good or lasts as long as having your own fully functioning organ, and that these children will be on medication for life and will be more susceptible to illness and infection as a result. But it buys time, and it buys hope. That was all we wanted for Isi from her last operation. We didn't get it, but I am thankful that those children did. It doesn't give me any comfort, I would rather those organs were still be used by Isi, but I also know how those parents feel, watching your child struggling with something that makes a normal, healthy life impossible.



So today I'm thinking of Isi a lot, but I'm also trying to think of those children too. I hope their parents cherish the gift that we gave, because it came with the highest price possible for us.

4 comments:

  1. What you did Rebecca for those 5 children was utterly selfless and amazing! I can't even imagine having to make that decision in the midst of such abject agony! That's a beautiful photo of Isi her hair makes her look like she is shining. I'm so sorry xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and the rest of the family today! I'm sure those parents and children are thankful to you for giving them the gift of life. I'm sure Isi is looking down today knowing you did what you could for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I celebrated Isi on my blog and in my heart today. I can't believe it's already a year.
    You probably don't want to hear you were so brave to give her organs so I won't tell you, but I am sure the parents of these children do know and feel they have a priceless debt towards you and Isi. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too cannot believe that a year has already gone by. Such a precious gift. Such a beautiful child. Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete